Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Lost Weekend

Day 1 (Feb. 10, 2007)
Hot Air Balloon Festival
Clark Field, Pampanga

For a change, not hitting the snooze button on my phone seemed like such a great idea. I was up and puttering about by 5:30am, all geared up and pysched to see hot air balloons up in the sky. Outside Kat's house, the air was crisp yet the sun warm. I knew it was going to be such an awesome day.

Bellies full and backs arched in flight, we zinged to Clark Field under such benevolent skies. I felt like I was a kid again -- all giddy in the backseat and ready to jump out as soon as I get to the airfield.


The festival site was packed when we got there. Kat and I managed to make our way to the area where they inflate the balloon. I sure as hell didn't know that it's restricted area. I sooo wanted to ride one! I remembered thinking and wishing if ever have gotten to ride a balloon, a mighty wind will blow it away with me in it to Maldives!



After all that hoopla, Kat showed us around their Calamansi farm. Which was pretty neat because it's tucked beyond the airfield and it used to be a Japanese hideout during the War. There was this bunker.. actually, more of a cave that she showed us. We all wanted to crawl in and see how deep it goes but the guard said there are snakes hanging around. So we just had to content ourselves peeking into its mouth and wondering what lies inside.


Ella had this brilliant idea of picking calamansi for lunch. It was funny because we were all caught up in the picking, we didn't have any plastic bags to put in all that fruit. Beth's little sister, K, managed to find this posh little bag to use as basket. Hahaha! I think I don't mind picking fruit for sideline, methinks. If the sun isn't all that hot and the wind just right, I'm good.




Day 2 (Feb. 11, 2007)
Crystal Beach, Zambales

We hit the beach much later than expected but not with its share of detours. Armed with only a pixelized downloaded map of Crystal Beach and led by Iking, the bat straight out of hell (aka Kat's driver), we flew across dust roads and acres of farmland for a day of sun and surf.

We practically banged down each gas stop for ice. Kat was relentless. You'd think she was a Crusader on a quest for the Holy Grail or something. We practically feefiefofummed along the way.. Always on a look out for ice. We finally hit pay dirt a mere miles from the beach. We hijacked the place out of ice!

Anyway, when we got there, there weren't too many people around. Except for those loco ones who can't seem to stop from caterwauling "My Heart Will Go On."

The beach was amazing. So are the people I was with.




It was one of those days you wished lasted longer. Not because everything was beautiful and idyllic but because we felt invincible. Where the company of good friends is more than enough and when laughter is the only language we spoke.